Check out our Sister Blog www.typeachecklist.com !

Friday, December 14, 2012

Christmas List of a Different Kind


Laurie's Gift List...with a lot of help from GOD!

I love lists. There’s something about a checkmark on a list that gives me a false sense of security.
Enter: Christmas.
With glee, I started my gift list. Then God stepped in.
Leave it up to the Big Guy to shake up my life and my list!
It all started last week when He astutely gave me gift item number one:  A Legacy.
God calls us to give this gift to everyone. Legacy is how you want to impact the world.
Here's my take on leaving a Legacy:

Christmas Gift #1 :  A Legacy

“What do you want your legacy to be?”
There it was. Right there on the TV. Black and white.
I was in Bible Study at church. The question was in front of me
Thought-provoking. Intimidating. I was being asked to think beyond today, beyond tomorrow.
Oh, my gosh, I was being asked to think about what I want people to say about me when I am dead!
I grabbed a pen and jotted some words:

“She loved God and it showed.”

That’s it!
That’s what I want my legacy to be. That’s the best gift I could give anyone.
Truth be told, however, if I were to die today, my legacy might read:

“She loved God, but was too busy.”

Sigh.
Sorry about that, God.
It’s Christmas time. We’re all thinking about gifts. How about focusing on gifts we can give that won’t break? How about talking about gifts that last a lifetime…perhaps even multiple lifetimes. That’s what a legacy is all about.As you plan your gift-giving this Christmas, keep an eye out for the best gift you can give: your legacy.

How do you want to be remembered?

What impact do you want to make on your children…and your children’s children?
Relax…this is one gift that has nothing to do with money, but everything to do with God.

Christmas Gift # 2:  Faith

I sat in the pew watching the candle in the advent wreath. Its light flickered in imperceptible rhythm: back and forth, back and forth..
I closed my eyes because Richard was playing the violin and Darling, the piano. Christmas music wrapped me in beauty. Linda’s flute sparkled in the air and Misty’s clarinet flowed like a river. I was washed away.
I listened as Jake and Pastor Dennis read from the Bible and I thought of all the years I’ve had the privilege of wrapping God’s love around me in a place of worship.

My momma started it, taking me to church every week. I remember clearly "Jesus loves me" and "I am His sheep." I remember sensing that I belonged to something bigger than myself or this country or even this earth. I was loved by a Big God who was in charge.

That’s what faith can do for you. That is Gift #2.

Are you giving your children a foundation of Faith? It is never too late to start. Take them to Bible-based church and, please, go back after Christmas, also.

Your children need a foundation of faith. Gift number two is one of the best gifts you can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment