Check out our Sister Blog www.typeachecklist.com !

Friday, September 11, 2015

Pass the SALT

 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." -- Matt 5:13



I admit it.  I'm a salt sneaker.  Don't tell my husband.

Every once in a while, when we go to a fast food restaurant, I dump a little pile of the stuff on my fries and eat them.  My husband usually glares his "That's not good for you" glare.

He's partially right, but there was a time, long ago, when salt was crucial to life.  In Bible times, it was used as a preservative.  It was critical to long-term survival of the people.

In Matthew 5:13, Jesus called us " the salt of the earth".  Basically, salt was a life-giver back in those days. Was Jesus implying I could enhance someone's life....or perhaps even offer them a life-giving message?

I'm thinking, in many ways, I have lost my salty flavor.  I've become lethargic and self-centered.  I've forgotten to add zest to other's lives because I'm so wrapped up in my own.

When salt lost it's flavor in Bible times, it was cast onto the walking paths.  If it was no good for life, it could at least kill the weeds.

Hmmmm.  I don't want to lose my flavor.  I want to share Jesus' love with others.  I want to let them know life can be so much easier when we look to God as our guide.

I want to sprinkle resurrection hope into their lives.  I want them to know there is meaning to lifetime struggle, as long as we focus on Jesus.  He's a super chef and does great things with our salty qualities.

Whereas I don't want to abuse my body with too much salt at the fast food place, I do want to enhance my world by sharing the life-giving Truth:

Jesus loves you, plain and simple.  You matter.   God has gifted you and given you great guidelines to follow. He will help you get through whatever you are facing.

Hang in there....and pass the salt.






No comments:

Post a Comment