Check out our Sister Blog www.typeachecklist.com !

Monday, April 22, 2013

Pencil Ready? Pray!




Pencil Ready?  Pray!

Do you pray much? I know I’m getting personal here.

When I was in my 20s, I lived alone in a little house in Alton. No TV. It was the days before computer or internet.


My phone was mounted on the wall and I could not in my wildest dreams imagine carrying it in my hand beyond the length of the coiled cord.


I had a radio, period. No i-pod. Wait a minute. How could I forget? I had a record player.

I listened to John Denver singing “Rocky Mountain High” with a slight “pop” where the record was scratched.

I was young and enthusiastic and busy and excited. I wore my feelings on my sleeve. It was easy for them to get hurt there.

Not much has really changed for me, except I‘m not young.

Back then, however, I prayed. I prayed and prayed and prayed.

I filled notebook after notebook with long conversations with God. I wrote to God about my day. I wrote to God about my confusion. I wrote about my fears.

I still have the notebooks. I look back at those prayers sometimes.

I think those conversations were good. I need to have more of them:

“Today, God, you’ve sent me a morning to soar. - Great sunlight, God. The birds are a nice touch, too, and that breeze…that breeze whispers the promise of spring. Thanks, God.”

I don’t write that kind of stuff in little notebooks any more. Sometimes, I think I should.

I should turn off the computer and TV and cell phone and take a walk. I should pull out my little notebook and take time to talk to my Father in Heaven.

I bet He misses the books.

God and I wrestled through more than a few problems on those scribbled pages. Ultimately, He answered my questions, even if His answer was “Wait.” I always tried to write God’s answers down.

Do you pray much? I think I need to….more.

May 2 is the National Day of Prayer, but every day should be prayer day. Let’s shut down some electronics and tell God we want Him in our lives.

Let’s have a conversation with Him, a conversation about everything. Let’s listen and write down His answers.

I’ve got my pen and notebook ready. Do you?







No comments:

Post a Comment