Check out our Sister Blog www.typeachecklist.com !

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1 - What on Earth Am I Here For?...It all starts with God

Welcome!

Today, amidst the ice and snow, We begin our journey into PURPOSE. I hope you have found a quiet corner (warm and safe!) to read the introduction and first Chapter of the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.

A group of us are tackling this book together. I am open to your comments and questions. I hope we can share what God is leading us to as we search for GOD'S PURPOSE for US!

Our Memory Verse: For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. Col. 1 verse 16

It's not all about YOU. Society screams at us to take care of ourselves ....find our way... give ourselves what we deserve...take a break...look out for #1!

Guess what? Society is wrong. Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose.

This is such a FREEING concept! We can stop all that stressing and straining and planning and guilt tripping.... WE (I) cannot create a life of meaning apart from God.

Our purpose is not something "out there" to be strived for...It is inside, planted by a loving, awesome Father.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to help you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

We will find our purpose when we focus on HIM, not ourselves.
As God goes on to say in the Book of Jeremiah:

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," Jeremiah 9:12,13

To discover your purpose in life, you must turn to God's Word, not the world's wisdom.

FYI you may find the packaging of your PURPOSE looks a little different than you dreamed in College days.

Don't worry. It's not about what your life looks like to others. It's about WHOSE love you reflect along the way.

Soooo.. Day 1 identity. You find it in Christ. Don't get scared. This not about religious mumbo jumbo. It's about a friendship which will last a lifetime. It's about hope and a future. It's about contentment with a companion for life....and afterlife.

WOWEE! Let's sit back and rest in that one. How about praying? It can be as simple as this:

Jesus, I don't know what my purpose is. Sometimes I'm confused and cranky, but I know you offer something better. Take my life Jesus. Here I am, warts and all. Help me rest in your day - to - day love. Envigorate me with YOUR strength and YOUR purpose. Amen

So kick back and rest and keep your feet warm. Perhaps today has a peaceful purpose of nesting with those you love. Maybe it's purpose is connecting with others in a stressful weather situation.

Whatever the situation...you are not alone.

See you in Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment